Cooking time: 50 minutes
- 2 oz butter or olive oil
- 3 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stocks chopped finely
- 2 pints chicken or vegetable stock for you Vegans out there.
- 1-2 medium apples, diced
- 1 tsp ginger or curry powder (sometimes I am not in the mood for curry)
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons single cream (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 oz whole chestnuts or macadamian nuts, roasted, peeled and finely chopped
- Melt half the butter in a pan, add the parsnips, potato and onion, then cover and cook gently for 10 minutes, or until beginning to soften.
- Add the stock, apple, nuts and sage, ginger powder cover then simmer for a further 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Return to the pan, add the cream, season to taste, and then reheat gently for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile melt the remaining butter in a pan, add the roasted chestnuts, season and fry for 3-4 minutes until they are lightly coloured, ensuring the butter does not burn.
- Spoon the chestnuts into the centre of the serving bowl, ladle the soup over and serve.
- Garnish with fresh sage and a drizzle of olive oil.