- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup packed fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves
- 2 shallots
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Have ready a bowl of ice water. In a small saucepan of boiling water blanch cilantro and parsley 10 seconds and drain in a sieve. Refresh herbs in ice water and drain in sieve. Chop shallots and garlic.
In a small nonstick skillet cook shallots, garlic, gingerroot, cumin, and red pepper flakes in 1 tablespoon water and oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until shallots are softened. In a blender purÃ©e shallot mixture, herbs, remaining 1/4 cup water, and soy sauce until smooth, about 1 minute, and season with salt and pepper. Sauce may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring sauce to room temperature before serving.
Just before serving, stir in lemon juice.